[SBE] The SBE Roundtable

Ted Randall engineering at accessnashville.com
Tue May 6 01:30:00 EDT 2008

On any public board including the ones that are private to the medical
profession you have some bantering like this and some folks get offended.
Posting for the purpose of offending is what it is, offensive.
The constant problem of getting off subject and the large number of posts
when the discussion drifts to "engineering entertainment" only shows a need.
The folks up here clearly have a desire to communicate and have some fun
from time to time.
That can be a good thing as long as it is not at someone else's expense.
It might be a good thing if there were another forum where a lighter kind of
fellowship could be encouraged.
If that were the case then the "serious" people would not get offended and
complain if someone asks a question about an old DAP or something about some
8008's.
I have two sons one 23 the other 28 both SBE members and both Chief
engineers of facilities.
They love to learn from the technical discussions but they also are
attracted to the human side of engineering.
Some of the best moments of our SBE meetings are the bantering and war
stories.
Needless to say there is an education to be had from those stories that goes
beyond the textbook.
My two and I are pretty typical, the only thing that would drive them away
from broadcasting, would be more money and if working for Google would be
more fun!
We all know the money has not exactly been in our profession.
So we simply must have some fun in this business!

There is a balance we must maintain in this day and time.
I feel that the forums and discussions are for us "broadcast engineers".
These things need to be for all of us and what we enjoy.
If the young folks like what they see then fine!
I still feel the answer is balance.
Could it be we need another forum, where old radio war stories can be shared
and other topics relating to our profession can be bantered about?
(without wasting others time)
There obviously is a need!
The medical and legal professions have forums just for that purpose.
For all of us that are Radio Amateurs it's easy for us to get on a tangent
and bore our non Radio Amateur counterparts into a deep coma!

Ted Randall
Past Chapter 103 Chair SBE Nashville