[SBE] Set-top Box Success Stories

Jon Frank jon_frank at wgbh.org
Tue May 6 08:52:32 EDT 2008

I've got the new Zenith DT-900 boxe (made by LG) with the new generation 6 chips in them. The results are nothing less than impressive. We have a 9" tv in our dining room where my wife and I watch Wheel and Jeapordy every evening during dinner. I am employing a really poor pair of old fashioned rabbit ears (not exactly ideal for UHF) and reception is amazingly good. I live within ten miles of the Boston transmitters, but I also receive a Worcester station from 20 miles away and the two Providence stations with UHF DTV channels from 40 miles away, with no problem. What's truly interesting is that I can look at the signal strength meter and watch it vary with the wind and the traffic outside my home, yet the video remains solid. That's not to say that I never have to adjust the rabbit ears, but I do so a lot less often then when I was looking at analog.