[SBE] The SBE Roundtable

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Tue May 6 11:52:32 EDT 2008

I don't recall any Obama, Hillery, McCain chat here. So I have to say I don't
recall any politics on this post. If people are so closed minded that they
are offended by posts they do not agree with and go away, its a good thing.
Learning is about discussing likes and differences and taking away a new
perspective or affirming one you already held. Its like radio and TV, if you don't
like what's on, change the channel or turn it off. I read a lot of things I
don't agree with, but I still read them because it provides insight and
understanding of the other persons views. Decades ago we used to say "Engineers are
people too." Because the stereotype engineer has glasses, pocket protector
filled, antisocial nerd with no social skills, humor or pop culture knowledge. We
were pigeon holed as technocrats who knew nothing and cared not for the
business functions, news, PR and other sides of the business. Well, times have
changed. Engineers have liberal arts knowledge, can speak in non double secret
technobabble, deal with finance, sales, PR, news, programming and more. Today
you have to know more than engineering to survive and be a contributing partner.
You have to have people skills to meet and greet, and coordinate with other
departments and the public. We need to display our human side as a big part of
creating a working environment for others. If all you can think and talk
about is technology then you do need a room of your own away from others.

Henry