[SBE] Going Green, Saves Green

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Tue May 6 14:35:19 EDT 2008

Responsible engineers wouldn't pollute the environment by using bulbs that
contain mercury. Besides, most offices switched to fluorescent tubes
decades ago, so if you're just now changing from incandescent, you're about
50 years behind the times.

You haven't addressed how your solar panels are going to help global warming
when all they do is amplify the heat-island effect and contribute more to
global warming than the CO2 they would save. Notwithstanding, the cost of
the electricity that solar panels generate can never be offset by the
initial cost of the panels, equipment and installation, the maintenance, the
value of the real estate they waste and the eventual cost of replacement
when they fail after a few years.

A good example that kind of foolish thinking are the people who rushed out
to by a Prius. If you add in the cost of replacing the battery after four
years, which is around $5,000, you could drive for less $ per mile if you
drove a big SUV! And then, how do "responsible stewards" get rid of all the
polluting chemicals from all those dead batteries?

We could "save the planet" if we all just turned off our TV's when Oprah
comes on. But then, she couldn't afford her Lear jet, her $50,000,000 home
in San Clemente, her air-conditioned mansion in Hawaii, her penthouse in NY,
her villas in Europe, etc. But I'm sure she owns a Prius, so she's OK!

Ron Castro
Chief Technical Officer
Results Radio, LLC
N6IE