[SBE] Set-top Box Success Stories Zenith

thielenc at aol.com thielenc at aol.com
Thu May 8 20:49:40 EDT 2008

I picked up a Zenith at Circuit City and a Digital Stream at Radio
Shack. Both cost the same $59.95 minus $40 coupon plus $5.25 tax. ($25
out of pocket for each box)

The Zenith performs like a Porche. When I first turned it on a message
pops up and says, "Make sure your Antenna is connected and Press "o"
to Start" It scanned and found over 25 channels. It changes channels
instantly and the onscreen menus and EPG look great.

I can't say the same for the performance of the Digtal Stream. I
picked the digital stream becasue of two unique features it has.
1. It has a multibrand remote. It has a sperate group of four buttons
on the remote (TV Power, TV Line input, and TV Vol+ and TV Vol-) It
controls my Sony TV perfectly.
2. It has an 8 hour EPG. (The Zenith only provides the PSIP/EPG for
the current program)
So I was happy with the two features that made me want to buy it
but....... the tuner in it is not as good as the Zenith. CBS2 breaks
up constantly and ABC7 comes and goes.
I live in Schaumburg IL which is about 30 miles northwest of Chicago.
I have a large antenna mounted inside my attic (2 story house). The
Digital Stream is also much slower at changing channels and the
onscreen displays / menus while perfectly acceptable just aren't as
refined as the Zenth.

Chad Thielen