[SBE] Certification opportunity: The AM Transmission Seminar in Austin

Alan Alsobrook radiotech at bellsouth.net
Fri May 16 05:22:07 EDT 2008

Bill Whitt wrote:

> This is pretty cool ... I have a question though. I'm a TV guy, dealing

> mostly with this digital conversion and maintaining all that goes with our

> current analog systems. Would this seminar be a little over the head of an

> individual who is currently not in Radio at all? Our station is thinking

> about "branching" out into the radio world. AM is pretty much wide open in

> our area, and I think its cheap to start.

Bill,
This program is presented to cover exactly your type of situation. Now
days it seems that many of the new engineers come into FM (or TV as in
your case) and leave the AM work to some crusty old guy that very few
people have ever met. Then surprise he retires at 90 leaving it up to
someone else to fix that darn AM thing. So once it's dumped in your lap
you wander down to the TX site and look at the transmitter, take a few
readings, and think to yourself well this isn't really all that bad. A
month or two go by it's late Friday afternoon the AM's finally landed
that major remote that airs Saturday at noon, you've got the remote van
all loaded ready to go, thinking how nice it's going to be to knock off
and a few minutes, when your cell phone starts ringing. You answer to
hear the AM just went off and won't come back on! Grumbling you wonder
out to the AM TX and find a VSWR overload on the transmitter that won't
reset. Now you think, where do I start to fix this thing?

This is where we start teaching, and we end up by explaining how complex
directional arrays work. We bill this as an AM RF seminar, not a
directional seminar, because we teach the entire system.

--
Alan Alsobrook CSRE AMD CBNT
St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885