[SBE] Ultrasonic Leak Detection

Bill Croghan billc at lvradio.com
Fri May 16 17:54:37 EDT 2008

Just thinking out load, I've never tried it, but has anyone tried putting
hot air into the line then watching with an infrared scope for where it
might be coming out? The heated air would have to be cool enough to be safe
but warm enough not to cool off to much going up the line. Maybe the leaks
would be to slow, and of course it would have to be done on a cool but not
cold day. I have had no experience with infrared scopes, but know that they
have been used successfully to spot hot spots on Tx lines caused by shorts,
bad bullets etc.

Bill

Bill Croghan CPBE WBØKSW
Chief Engineer,
KOMP/KXPT/KENO/KBAD/KWWN
Lotus Broadcasting, Las Vegas, NV

Spacone

> Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 2:46 PM

> To: curt at spam-o-matic.net; 'sbe member discussion mail list'

> Subject: Re: [SBE] Ultrasonic Leak Detection

> Cowboy,

> The Boss (tm) is a pretty reasonable guy and he will probably bite on the

> $200 expenditure. From the feedback it sounds like Ultrasonic is viable.

If

> he gets me the tool Ill post again you guys know how it turns out.

> 73,

> Chris

other

> direction.

> I'll be real interested in real world experience with a sonic detector

> though,

> with TX blowers running, HVAC, and all the rest.

> --

> Cowboy

> http://cowboys.homeip.net

> "The medium is the massage."