[SBE] I saw the future tonight...

wgbw at lsol.net wgbw at lsol.net
Wed May 21 21:37:34 EDT 2008

Tonight I saw the future, and my eyes were opened to the impact.

A buddy who works for the nuclear industry has been interested in
computers since high school, and ham radio in only the past three years.

I looked inside his Honda Element, and found his 2-meter ham transceiver
and a GPS on the dash. Between the seats I found that $49 DTV converter
from Wal-Mart. He's managed to run AC at 400 watts in the vehicle using
a converter, and he's managed to get his scanner antenna to also feed
the coax 'in' of his DTV converter. The GPS monitor has a video 'in'
on the back... and voila...13 channels of TV, full-quieting, in his car!

The audio comes in through his stereo system in the Element, and he's
a properly trained stormchaser, and uses the DTV radar images off a
Green Bay station, to track storms 'real time'!

No ghosts, no cut-outs. 37 miles from the TV towers. Pretty
impressive, and somebody's going to miniaturize this into one package
soon, I can only imagine.

Mark Heller CBRE
WTRW Inc. WGBW Radio
Two Rivers, WI