[SBE] Copper theft law in Missouri

Clark, Roz (CXR-Tampa) Roz.Clark at coxtampa.com
Thu May 22 15:35:10 EDT 2008

Our SBE meeting in Tampa last month was centered on Copper Theft. We
had representatives from what has been described by the experts as the
"three legs of the stool" to help in this matter.

The three key players in helping solve this issue are:

Victims
Law Enforcement
Scrap Recycling Industry

We had our regional Copper Task Force law enforcement deputies, our
State representative, and a VP from ISRI (Institute of Scrap Recycling
Industries) out of DC at the meeting. They each presented their view on
this challenging topic.

It was a very informative session that left us with a list of to-do
items.

If you are interested in more information, let me know, but suffice it
to say that it is a bigger issue than just broadcast. We have an
opportunity to be a big part of the solution.

One interesting point made was that risk of injury or jail time doesn't
seem to be a big scare, neither does some of the procedures such as
mandatory material hold etc.. those procedures in some States had
virtually zero effect and alienated the recyclers as it directly takes
money out of their pocket.

Roz