[SBE] do a remote via phone line without the need for someone to run the board at the station.

Randy Hisle RANDYH at james-city.va.us
Thu May 29 09:23:17 EDT 2008

Al,

The primary purpose of this request is to keep it simple and not to rely on anything but a pots line. The studio is UPS/Generator backed up with a automatic transfer switch as is the transmitter. They simply want to interrupt the broadcast with emergency messaging if the studio is evacuated or unmanned (which I am finding out in radio today is a LOT of the time) They also requested some simple security to prevent a wrong # or a wise guy kid from breaking into the signal. The station currently has a news guy who lives way out in the country who has a small studio and can remote access the automation system with gotomypc and ftp his news carts and program them in remotely. His DSL line can be rather undependable so he also could break in with important news. Most of these devices have relays that I can wire to the automation (audiovault in this case) that will allow some more sophisticated commands but most of the time it will be used to simply break in with a local emergency and dump out. Like EAS does during warnings etc.

I hope this helps. I am learning so much about remote access possibilities in this thread!

Randall W. Hisle
CBTE

Now there are 2 places to watch!
www.jccEgov.com & Cox Channel 48