[SBE] Question about an FM translator cavity filter --

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Mon Jun 2 22:31:30 EDT 2008

The first thing to do is sweep the filter and make sure it's aligned. It's
possible that the BR might be a bit too close to the transmit frequency. BP
filters can be adjusted to give narrower bandwidth, but at the expense of
greater loss, and given the proximity of the channels involved, 6 to 7 dB
may be within specifications. That means that you need 4-5 times TPO to
make your licensed ERP than if you didn't have the filter, and if there is
any way to eliminate the filter by moving the receive antenna farther away
from the transmit antenna, or to explore an alternative feed method, you'll
be much better off. Filters that narrow can cause significant phase shift
across the bandpass, resulting in what is generally called phase-induced
multi-path. It's not actually multi-path, but sounds like it.

What kind of front-end filtering is on the receiver?

Ron Castro
Chief Technical Officer
Results Radio, LLC
N6IE