[SBE] Question about an FM translator cavity filter --

Bill Whitt billw at betterlifetv.tv
Tue Jun 3 20:19:57 EDT 2008

Not that I know a huge amount about FM, but I wanted to relate to this issue
via the TV side. I had this problem when I lost my original channel number
to another company. I had to receive on 22 and transmit on 23. The original
unit I had on the mountain was a translator. I was having a heck of a time
setting up filters, adjusting my down convertor, and constantly adjusting my
forward power. One day, while I was lighting the match to burn down the
transmitter site ... I had an idea. I soon converted the turkey from a
translator to a transmitter ... using alternate devices to receive and break
apart my video and audio components. My figuring was if I was able to get it
from RF to its individual components ... I could clean them up and feed it
back into my transmitter stronger and tightened up. The result was better
than I could have imagined, plus I was able to eeekkk out more forward
power. Later on, I gained permission to relocate my receive antenna away
from the directional forward power of my transmit antenna. This improved my
situation that much more. I still have to watch my forward power ... but man
what a difference.

Hope this helps .. :-)

Bill Whitt