[SBE] Satellite signal loss detection and switching

Chuck Bullett chuckbullett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 00:16:35 EDT 2008

Bill;

A simple comparator circuit the references AGC current, of Eb Voltage would
work. Simple reference the measured value to a 5V power supply, for
instance. Then, when the comparator trips the output register when the AGC
or Eb drops below your predetermined value, take a lo or hi, and trip a gate
which can then provide you with a logic hi or low to trip a audio source
switch.

A couple of chips and you should be good--- unless your receiver has an LOS
(loss of signal) alarm relay contact built-in. That would be handy.

Good Luck

Chuck Bullett; CSRE
San Francisco

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Bill Whitt <billw at betterlifetv.tv> wrote:

> Hello all,

> I was wondering if anyone has an awesome way to measure signal

> loss from a satellite receiver that will allow you to switch to another

> device during this loss, and then switch back again when the signal is

> measured stable for a period of time. This switch would have to have some

> kind of hysteresis on it so that it won't switch over when we get little

> satellite bumps. I was curious if anyone has ever had to deal with this

> before.

> Bill Whitt

> Bill Whitt

> Better Life Broadcasting Network