[SBE] Certification

McGlothen, Darryl darryl.mcg at klewtv.com
Fri Jun 20 17:38:11 EDT 2008

The push here, seems to be coming from State Licensing bodies to require
certain work to be performed by 'licensed technicians', in effect,
requiring Broadcast Engineers to be certified in order to satisfy the
licensing requirements for whatever discipline is involve. I can't speak
for all the broadcast engineers, but whenever modifications to our
physical plant are required to install new equipment, we obtain the
necessary permits and hire licensed contractors to perform those
modifications, but we install the new equipment. That is the perview of
the broadcast engineer for which we are most qualified by virtue of our
training, experience, certification or a combination of the three. If an
engineer wishes to perform the modifications to the plant, then yes, he
should be duly licensed to do so by the state or municipality. Are you
suggesting that all engineers get certified and licensed whether they
wish to perform permitted modifications or not? That would be
untennable; both for the engineer and for the licensed discipline. Think
about it.

Darryl McGlothen, CBNT
SBE #117 Chapter Chair

...snip...