[SBE] Certification

Edwin Bukont ebukont at msn.com
Sun Jun 22 19:19:33 EDT 2008

So Kim

any chance of bringing Bill over to the dark side of regulated workplaces? this by the way, has nothing to do with unions.

it has everything to do with gov't making money.

I mean, I have gone over to the dark side of doing AM...soooo

maybe there is hope for the eccentric oneEdwin Bukont CSRE, DRB, CBNT Comm-Struction and Services LLC P.O. Box 629; Bel Air, MD 21014 USA V- 410.879.5567 F- 240.368.1265 C- 240.417.2475 ebukont at msn.com Member: IEEE, SBE, AES, PMI Digital Media and Power Systems Integrators. A Harris Broadcast Channel Partner > Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:17:08 -0400> From: radioctrldwife at gmail.com> To: sbe at sbe.org> Subject: Re: [SBE] Certification> > Ed makes a very valid point here.> I know, from experience, that in MD they're starting to "crack down" on> unlicensed electrical work. I was told by a electrician, that I (as a> contractor) could not wire up an on air light, or even phantom powered> microphones, because they exceed the energy limitations of the low voltage> certification required by local code. From what I recall, the low voltage> certification only allows you to work with a max of 48V at 0.5A. Keep in> mind that this only applies to consultants/ contractors, the rules are a> little different for an employee, such as a building maintenance manager.> > Broadcast facilities have always been somewhat of a grey area depending on> the local electrical board's interpretation of the exemption for> regulated telecommunications utilities- such as the local phone company.> According to NEC 2005 article 90.2 B Paragraph 4 exempts certain facilities> as not covered under the code and requiring a licensed electrical> contractor. This exception is restricted to installations of communication> equipment under the exclusive control of communications utilities located> outdoors or in building spaces used exclusively for such installations.> > I think most broadcast engineers would believe this exception included> facilities such as transmitter sites or antenna arrays. But, after speaking> to a person on the electrical board we were told "We (we the local> electrical board) do not see a radio station as a regulated communications> utility". There was also some ambiguity if we were "allowed" to even work on> an AM array itself, due to regulations. We were also basically told that> Bill's CBPE/ CSRE cert and 30 years of experience wiring broadcast and heavy> industrial equipment in his own factory meant nothing to the electrical> board. Apparently all of this fuss is an attempt to prevent electrical> fires, from poor wiring installed by "unqualified people". One approach> Bill suggested to the SBE was to have the NEC wording modified to> specifically include licensed broadcast facilities in this exemption at the> next revision of the code.> > We all know that not *every* broadcast engineer *really* knows how to> install "proper" electrical wiring. We also know that we can't have an> electrician come in every time we need to install a phantom powered> microphone. This is even becoming a problem with the large sound and video> system consulting guys....> > I think that there should be an endorsement to the CBE+ certification for> primary wiring available from the SBE, that might help clear up some of this> confusion. This certification endorsement should be issued in conjunction> with the NEC/ SBE/ NFPA/ and other concerned parties. Lets just make sure> that if you need to install electrical wiring that you know the basics, what> size conductor to use, what size conduit to use, how many cables> (multi-pair) can fit into a conduit, how to prevent an electrical fire, and> most importantly proper grounding techniques and code compliance.> > I think this is important. No, we can't get a certification or license for> everything, but knowing how to properly wire up your transmitter (even if an> electrician is doing it) is important. That way you can catch mistakes> before it's too late, if you see them and know what to look for. The truth> is... you're not required to be a licensed locksmith to unstick the sales> lady's door, or be a license plumber to unstop a toilet in the ladies room,> but according to regulatory structures (depending on where you're located)> you may have to be licensed or certified to do electrical wiring.> > The bottom line is, if you're a contractor offering these services for hire> you absolutely must establish a partnering arrangement with a local licensed> electrical contractor. If nothing else in order to have them obtain the> permits, inspect your work, and then submit the work to the required county> or city electrical inspection. Doing anything less puts you in jeopardy of> lawsuits. Someone working as an employee or owner can wire up industrial> machines or whatever, in their own plant as long as they do not offer these> services to others as a contractor, and comply with code.> > These are the rules from my understanding, and from personal experience.> > -- > Kim Sacks, KB3MZX> http://youtube.com/user/RadioCtrlDWife> www.optimod.fm> _______________________________________________> SBE mailing list> To unsubscribe, go to http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/options/sbe> _______________________________________________> SBE at sbe.org> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/sbe