[SBE] Certification

Kim Sacks radioctrldwife at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 20:17:36 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Cowboy <curt at spam-o-matic.net> wrote:

> So.....

> Where in your state can we find a "licensed" contractor to properly

> connect and use an OIB-3 at the base of a 1/2 wave tower ?

> Let's make it easy, and allow the SD-31 and a FIM ?

> How about one who can "size the wire" for a ThruLine ?

> Maybe something simple, like properly setting a ball gap ?

> Nanny government is just getting silly.

We asked the same questions... Never really received any answers. I'll say
one thing... The electrician was shocked (pun intended) that a 200' piece of
romex could spark under a 10 kW NDA tower.

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Edwin Bukont <ebukont at msn.com> wrote:

> any chance of bringing Bill over to the dark side of regulated workplaces?

Not a chance. Bill's a lab rat. I have a hard enough time getting him to
come out of his cave.

> Kim,,,is not a guy. The perky electronic princess is the wife of Bill.

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm far from being a princess. More like
iron worker Betty.

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Albert Muick <
radioresearch_field_operations at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ooops! Sorry Kim! My bad, and your points are valid just the same. :-)

Not a problem Al, no offense taken.

-----

I also agree about union dues having an impact on how you're treated in
certain areas, but in some places, especially rural areas, you're either one
of the "good ol' boys" or you're not in the club. In order to join the club
you have to be an apprentice (slave) for 7 years. I'm not sure I can fit
that into my schedule.

I understand the reasoning behind all of this regulation, but it leaves us
(broadcast engineers) out of the loop. Many of us are capable of doing the
work, we just need to be allowed to do it. I'm sure most of us would take a
test if needed. Maybe even use experience to supplement the requirement to
be an apprentice before testing. Or simplify it all and find a way to add
broadcast facilities to the NEC's definition of a communications utility.

The BICSCI looks like it's moving in the right direction. I wasn't aware of
the BICSI until recently. Are they recognized by the NFPA etc.?

--
Kim Sacks, KB3MZX
http://youtube.com/user/RadioCtrlDWife