[SBE] Net Guardian SNMP Monitoring

Albert Muick radioresearch_field_operations at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 19:39:43 EDT 2008

Hi again Kim,

Well, I think we pretty much have an idea of the biggest part of your
problem. SNMP was made to be used over TCP/IP, i.e. a LAN. Both devices
(your NetGuardian and whatever you are trying to control) have to be on the
same net or subnet, and you could try a crossover cable (RJ-45) between them
to set up a simple network for testing purposes. It's not gonna work over
RS-232.

Your UPS will have to have a LAN/NIC card, of course, or it will not be able
to be controlled or connected to the LAN. Many office printers also have
these LAN/NIC cards and will respond to SNMP. It might be good to poll them
first to see if you get a response before you try sending commands.

When I was speaking of switches and routers, I was meaning the Cisco, Avaya,
etc. types, and not the ones for household use, although they too may at
least be able to be polled via SNMP.

This sure would be easier if we could send ourselves along with the email to
assist our fellow engineers! LOL

By the way, kudos to Roberto Londono-Echeverry for also jumping in with
assistance. This is why I love the SBE!

While the entire protocol structure is too much to get into in this
discussion group, you could check http://support.microsoft.com and their
TechNet if you have access, for some primers on SNMP. A good network
engineering reference book is also invaluable if you're gonna be dealing
with this stuff.

I'll be monitoring the bounces and let me know if there's anything else I
can help with or if you run into any major obstacles.

Al Muick