[SBE] Standards (formerly 1984)

Barry Thomas, CPBE CBNT barryt at sbe.org
Fri Jul 4 23:57:18 EDT 2008

Before we rag anymore on Chriss:

I see a real irony in that we've just been having a great discussion about the Society developing a RBP compendium, however as soon as a standard is invoked, as Chriss did by moderating the list, we get flamed for being restrictive.

The purpose of this list is outlined at the subscription point of the SBE web site. I like to consider this an ongoing, 24-hour, chapter meeting. Discussions of hobbies, events in history, or casting aspersions on a fellow engineer's role in serving our country would not (should not) occur during an SBE meeting. It should not happen here.

Chriss has needed to repeat this guideline several times recently.

Before and after regular chapter meetings (like those at chapter 5 here in Atlanta) there exists the fellowship which many of us crave. This is where the myriad of other interests we share are frequently discussed. As a result of your comments we've created an online version of this "fellowship opportunity" on the SBE Chat list.

There are, of course, many opportunities online for social interaction between broadcast technical personnel: Barry's lists, Yahoo, Facebook, and Linkedin Groups, Ham radio nets, etc.

The Roundtable does not seek to supplant those opportunities and, as a result is deliberately managed so it won't replicate them.

Please do not be insulted when our moderator suggests a topic be moved to the chat area. Understand that he is simply helping this "business" list remain on-point and relevant. This helps keep the roundtable an effective resource for the many members who subscribe.

Thank you.

Barry Thomas, CPBE CBNT
President
Society of Broadcast Engineers, Inc.