[SBE] hole in heliax

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Wed Aug 6 15:10:43 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 02:56 pm, Gary Blievernicht wrote:

> We have two holes in the 3" (air) heliax run to our stand-by antenna. The

> antenna is at the 500 foot level on our tower, the holes are about six feet

> apart at about the 300 foot level. Might have been lightning? Might have

> blow out when we applied power on Friday for the first time in months? .

> The line had been holding pressure until last Friday, so, I'm figuring it

> blew out.

> Wonder if we should just splice out twenty-five feet of heliax or if we

> should, at considerably more expense, replace the entire run.

> Or try the splice and see what happens?

> I can send anyone a pair of pictures if you are interested.

Send photo's !

If they're bullet holes, you *might* be able to patch.
If they're due to a burn-out, then there's soot in considerably more
than 25 feet. ( probably )
It can be cleaned, but not easily or cheaply.
If lightning, you might get by splicing in a new ten feet or so.
I'd try and replace the whole run, keeping the old around for future
splice stock, but good luck getting 3" heliax these days !

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

Ever notice that even the busiest people are never too busy to tell you
just how busy they are?