[SBE] FW: Block and tackle question

John Poray jporay at sbe.org
Fri Aug 8 08:28:32 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Whitt [mailto:billw at betterlifetv.tv]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 3:46 PM
To: sberoundtable at sbe.org
Subject: Block and tackle question

Hello all,

I have to do a new transmitter install on a 150 foot tower. I'm
pulling 1 5/8 cable up the stick to about the 120 foot mark. I got to
looking at our block and tackle gear, and I don't think this stuff will
handle the weight of cable at that height. I was doing some thinking off the
top of my head, and near as I can figure a 100 pound antenna being hoisted
at that height would be about 580 or so pulling pounds. Any suggestions on
sourcing new gear. I really want a smooth install. A winch may do the trick,
but I can muster up a ground crew too with no issues - meaning that if a 4:1
pulley network is your favorite I would look at that suggestion as well.
Any suggestions on sources and gear I would appreciate.