[SBE] FW: Block and tackle question

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Fri Aug 8 08:52:21 EDT 2008

On Friday 08 August 2008 08:28 am, John Poray wrote:

> [...]

Not even close, unless you're using a really heavy load line.
Pulling a 100 pound antenna will be 100 pounds plus headache plus tag,
pulling force, decreasing as the antenna rises.
Block load is 2X antenna plus headache plus load line plus tag.
Any good rigger should know this without even thinking.

> Any suggestions on

> sourcing new gear. I really want a smooth install. A winch may do the trick,

> but I can muster up a ground crew too with no issues - meaning that if a 4:1

> pulley network is your favorite I would look at that suggestion as well.

> Any suggestions on sources and gear I would appreciate.

There is no personal slight intended, but.....
I'd suggest you find an experienced rigger who understands
why we do what we do, especially aloft.
Compared to crashing an antenna, or killing a man, we are
not that expensive !

It's one thing to hang a 4 pound TV antenna and a run of RG-6.
It's quite another to hoist weight.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net