[SBE] Some Labor Day thoghts

Henry M. Seiden info at techworkspro.com
Mon Sep 1 07:19:56 EDT 2008

As to training, I went to my local junior college where they had a
general electronics program. I graduated with a electronics/pre-
engineering Associate Science degree. Is that program still there?
When I went to school, (ahem!) years ago the classes were full. Now?

Henry S.
On Aug 31, 2008, at 23:47 , Larry Bloomfield wrote:

> As we move through and past this Labor Day weekend, it comes to mind

> that as labors in the broadcast industry, many of our contemporaries

> are retiring, leaving and/or dyeing off. The question comes to mind,

> where are the replacements coming from?

> Having met and spoken with probably more SBE members during my tour

> with the Taste of NAB Road Show than most any other SBE member, I’ve

> certainly gotten a feel for some of the wants and needs of our

> industry as expressed by many I’ve spoken with. There is one thing

> that is very much implied, but isn’t discussed very much and that’s

> the issue of vocations into our industry. There are many schools

> that teach how to operate, how to edit and do the “artsy-craftsy”

> stuff, but the places that teach how to trouble shoot and fix gear

> are few and far between. There are a few that teach studio repair,

> but try to find someone who is able to skillfully work on

> transmitters, be they TV or radio, and you’ll know what I’m talking

> about.

> There are a few things we can do to find vocations. A natural place

> is within the amateur radio community. Many “hams” have a good

> working knowledge of electronics and some even can diagnose and

> repair transmitters. Don’t pooh-pooh this source as I’ve never met

> an electron that knew the difference between amateur and commercial

> communications. Two way radio guys are another possible source.

> If you live near a military base, there are any numbers of folks

> getting discharged who are looking to apply their technical skills

> in one way or another. Not sure how you’d find out who or where

> they’re at, but it might be worth a shot. I was a Navy electronics

> tech and there isn’t much that I could not work on and/or repair.

> Most Navy techs are very broad based in what they can work on –

> especially the guys who are on board ship. This isn’t to say that

> the other branches of service don’t have talented folks as well. If

> you get someone from the military, you’ll probably get someone who

> can take direction and follow orders. (What a novel concept!)

> Another approach is for local SBE chapters to do some simple

> marketing. Marketing is a term we normally associate with the sales

> department, but in this case, marketing is the selling of our craft

> to others; a craft that has been a lot of fun for most of us. (Just

> read some of the fun stuff that is posted on the various list

> servers many of us subscribe to.) Our national SBE offices have

> taken the first step in that direction by setting up the “Internship

> on Line” program. I don’t know how they plan to promulgate this

> program, but I’m doing my part by sharing the program during my

> Taste of NAB Road Show. The concept is a great one and may well

> result in these interns learning about SBE and eventually becoming

> members.

> Akin to this would be to invite science teachers and other

> [...]

®
Techworks Professional Systems, Inc. Henry M. Seiden, Founder
henry<at>techworkspro<dot>com