[SBE] HD plant construction engineer needed

Jeff Carter sbe at hidden-valley.com
Thu Oct 23 14:01:37 EDT 2008

Forgive me for potentially speaking out of turn, but isn't one of the
whole points of the SBE (and membership in the SBE) making certain
that we are fairly paid for what we do? I seem to recall actually
having signed something upon applying for membership in SBE that said
I wouldn't ridiculously undercut fellow engineers and destroy the
concept of fair pay. I assumed everybody in SBE had to sign it. I
suppose I can dig my copy back out for the exact wording.

I didn't initially respond to this thread because I thought the
original quote ($20) was a typo. Are we sure it's not? Twenty bucks
would have been a joke twenty years ago. Trainees do better in many
if not most cases. So are we certain that the original quote was
legitimate and not a typo or someone trolling for responses?

Surely we're just being teased if it wasn't a typo. Maybe they meant
$200 instead...

Jeff
Atlanta

You wrote:
In 2001 putting up an FM in Great Falls, Montana My Contractor was
billing at $15.00 per hour plus expenses. I was Training at the time
for $15 / hour on call and $8 / Hour Scheduled.
Two years ago assisting another local Engineer with his FM Digital
Transmitter and antenna install, I was making $10 / Hour (as an
assistant!) with taxes withheld by the station.
Last year assisting on their AM Digital Transmitter Plant upgrade was
about the same amount.