[SBE] HD plant construction engineer needed

Barry Thomas barryt at barryt.org
Thu Oct 23 15:26:04 EDT 2008

This issue is a constant source of concern for me; especially when people hit us with the argument that "the SBE should set these sort of rates" (and as a result start taking on the role of a union). The Society works to develop the educational and measurement resources to help engineers understand their real value and make their own choices for compensation. Broadcast Engineers are responsible for understanding their own worth and insisting on fair compensation. Certified engineers, according to the Radio Magazine salary surveys (the only survey being done I understand), get paid more. That's likely because of two reasons:

- Certified Engineers care about their careers and invest in the appropriate measures for their skill set. Certification is more than a measure of a static skill set but it's also representative of a commitment to remain current and active. It's a living, and continually-relevant measure like no other.

- Certified Engineers obviously consider the benefits of certification as part of a complete strategy to more accurately understand the value of their service in the industry. This is not collective bargaining or collusive behavior. It's the market working appropriately, leaving the responsibility to us to gauge our own value.

Many of you may have seen a recent ad for a Radio Chief's job (Jersey Shore; I believe) and have thought about the comprehensive set of responsibilities listed and considered the location. The ads have been running for a long time which made me think that the compensation for the position must not have been commensurate with the responsibilities and the location. I recently was told the position was finally filled but there might have been a significant readjustment in the compensation figure to more closely match the market.....There may have been no qualified takers for this position so one of two things changed, either the expectations for the position or the compensation offerings were changed. If this is true, score one for the system!

I know times are tough but never forget that we have significant value as professionals. If you need reminders, use the results from the Radio Magazine Salary Survey as well as your colleagues on this list, in your chapters, and throughout our Society. There's no need to sell ourselves short. Even though we're in the customer service profession and will probably always put our service commitment over our perceived value, we should take pride that we bring significant value to our companies and deserve to be compensated as such.

That takes immense discipline, however...and many of us work in a business that's not particularly known for it's fiscal discipline...either in spot rates, reinvestment, or R&D. Sad but true. It still falls to us; the involved and enlightened members of the singular organization specifically charged with supporting and promoting the broadcast engineer to continually raise the bar in our little segment.

Commitments like Henry's to hire consider and hire SBE Engineers on a preferential basis not only helps make his job easier but it improves the situation for all of us. Thanks!

Barry Thomas, CPBE CBNT
President
Society of Broadcast Engineers, Inc
barryt at sbe.org