[SBE] HD plant construction engineer needed

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Fri Oct 24 10:43:15 EDT 2008

Here McD'd pays minimum to 75 cents over. I pay my dog kennel help $8.50 and
turn down a steady stream of applicants. With taxes, and mandated insurance
thats $12.44/hr. I also pay the PT staff OT on holidays, give an annual bonus
equal to an average weeks pay, we celebrate birthdays and graduations, and just
unemployment and workers comp insurance is $3,000 a year. Then add liability
insurance, the payroll software costs $10 per person per week (paid as a lump
sum annually) HVAC energy costs are $8000/yr, dog food supplies repairs etc,
payroll taxes ($8,000 annually) add up to $45k in expenses. That does not
include depreciation, property taxes, inventory taxes, purchase cost recovery, cost
of capitol, banking fees, $95/mo trash removal, security systems, cleaning
supplies, appliance repairs (washer, dryer, dish washer, water heater, HVAC,
grooming equipment, water, softener salt). All the stuff an employer pays long
before profit business license fees. So as a self employed person you have to
charge double what your job is actually going to pay vs an employee.

I several times though of opening a restaurant: $.33 goes for food, $.33
goes for labor, $.15 for promotion/advertising, $.15 for business taxes. Leaves
$.03 for profit and reinvestment. $.05 is considered excellent. Franchises make
it on volume and lots of them fail every year.

I get 12-14% return on investments with monthly dividends without fail,
(Conroy's and MLP's) market slump, buy more, = higher returns. Why would I risk a
huge investment for 5% return? Well the 5% may be $1,500,000 a day (NBC
profit) or more. My kennel biz will be a good part time low demand retirement job
and I have lots of dogs and cats of my own.

Henry