[SBE] Suits

Edwin Bukont ebukont at msn.com
Sun Nov 2 11:43:35 EST 2008

I hate to be blunt about this. It's called 'walking the talk" or dressing to play the role.

While it is true that many engineering occupations require various forms of special suits for certain work, and that may include jeans, the PERCEPTION, thanks to Madison Ave and Hollywood is that engineers wear suits.
Technicians wear jeans. Janitors wear coveralls. What you want to be is how you present yourself.

When presenting yourself to those decision makers who are not engineers, if you want to be thought of as an engineer, and have your advice and budgets respected, then you need to razzle with the dazzle if you expect to baffle with the bull.

Most often in this business you need to dress to the perception. We have all bemoaned the incompetent consultant who comes in and wreaks havoc, yet gets respect and praise and $150-250/hr against your efforts at $25-30/hr. Because he shows up in suit, which indicates money,. the perception of money indicates success. The appearance of success creates a confidence in competence. He LOOKS like he know what he is talking about. Jeans don't.

Frankly, most managers worry too much that your jeans will have grease on them and may soil the expensive conference room furniture. So whatever you may say, however valid, gets lost in the grease-concerned presentation.

Edwin Bukont CSRE, DRB, CBNT Comm-Struction and Services LLC V- 410.879.5567 F- 410.272.5750 C- 240.417.2475 ebukont at msn.com A Harris Broadcast Channel Partner > From: weathertop at charter.net> To: sbe at sbe.org> Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:28:13 -0700> Subject: Re: [SBE] Suits> > Maybe it's a "girl thing" because we learn from our mothers to carry extra> shoes and clothes in case it rains or you want to work out or go for> cocktails after work, but it's too bad that some engineers never learn that> secret. One guy I know grumbled constantly and to anyone who'd listen, that> no matter how hard he worked, the General Manager didn't appreciate his> efforts because the GM wanted him to dress nicely whenever he came to the> office. This engineer spent most of his time on a major construction project> and he thought that taking the time to change out of his muddy jeans, shoes> and shirt just to pick up a package or his paycheck, was an unreasonable> demand because it took time out of his busy day. The GM even bought him> logo-ed overalls to keep in his truck but the more the GM did, the more the> engineer grumbled and the more his attitude deteriorated and ultimately, he> was out of work. The bad part about all this was that even though he was a> competent engineer, his constant grumbling earned him a reputation as having> a bad attitude and while it's difficult to find good engineers, no one will> hire the guy. > Adrienne> > > -----Original Message-----> From: sbe-bounces at sbe.org [mailto:sbe-bounces at sbe.org] On Behalf Of> chscherer at everestkc.net> Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2008 7:29 AM> To: sbe at sbe.org> Subject: Re: [SBE] Suits> > I often hear complaints that engineers are not given the respect they> deserve. It starts with the individual. It's true that business casual dress> is accepted in many offices now, although there are times when it is> appropriate to wear a suit. If you look like a janitor you'll be treated as> a janitor.> > We are also all aware that wearing a suit to fix the transmitter makes no> sense either. You might need to change your clothes during the day depending> on the tasks that day. I have a friend who keeps disposable coveralls on> hand when he has to get dirty. He wears a tie to work every day.> > For some, the heavy-work attire may be acceptable. For others, dressing like> the other managers may be essential to earning respect.> > > From: Cowboy <curt at spam-o-matic.net>> > And I'd disagree !> > > > They look like high-dollar, professional, front office engineers.> > Too many of us look like low-dollar, back shop, handy-men too often.> > Just an opinion..........> > ( ask your favorite successful salesman )> > > > Jon Frank wrote:> > > I love those guys in the suits. They look like they work at a > > funeral home.> _______________________________________________> The SBE Roundtable, SBE at sbe.org> To unsubscribe, go to http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/options/sbe> > http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/sbe> > _______________________________________________> The SBE Roundtable, SBE at sbe.org> To unsubscribe, go to http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/options/sbe> > http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/sbe