[SBE] Suits

Adrienne Abbott weathertop at charter.net
Sat Nov 1 12:28:13 EDT 2008

Maybe it's a "girl thing" because we learn from our mothers to carry extra
shoes and clothes in case it rains or you want to work out or go for
cocktails after work, but it's too bad that some engineers never learn that
secret. One guy I know grumbled constantly and to anyone who'd listen, that
no matter how hard he worked, the General Manager didn't appreciate his
efforts because the GM wanted him to dress nicely whenever he came to the
office. This engineer spent most of his time on a major construction project
and he thought that taking the time to change out of his muddy jeans, shoes
and shirt just to pick up a package or his paycheck, was an unreasonable
demand because it took time out of his busy day. The GM even bought him
logo-ed overalls to keep in his truck but the more the GM did, the more the
engineer grumbled and the more his attitude deteriorated and ultimately, he
was out of work. The bad part about all this was that even though he was a
competent engineer, his constant grumbling earned him a reputation as having
a bad attitude and while it's difficult to find good engineers, no one will
hire the guy.
Adrienne