[SBE] Verizon says it will do away with traditional phone lines in7 years

Stu Casteel stu at pacific.net
Mon Jan 12 19:36:13 EST 2009

aside from large explosions in the central office, cut trunks and local
backhoe & drunk driver outages about the only thing that will down a well
designed POTS system is someone dropping a tool on to the terminals of the
Battery Backup system (can you say vaporized?) or an earthquake where more
than half the phones are knocked off the hook (having experienced both)
I've been to more than a few cell sites and smaller cable operations,
well, lets just say their disaster recovery plans need work, many only
have short duration UPS - some have a generator but usually only a day or
two run time (assuming it auto starts) worth of fuel - even the most rural
telco's I've been to (New Effington anyone?) have a 24/7 manned central
office - how many cable companies can say the same?

every time there is any sort of local or regional disruption the stories
in the local papers (those that are left) run stories about folks who find
out the limitations of VoIP - not that I'm a luddite mind you, I've been
uing Skype since it was beta and, yah I've been using cell's since the
Miami Vice Moto brick daze

Think I'll keep a land line as long as they work, thank you very much -
just don't make anything but local calls on it

Stu