[SBE] Verizon says it will do away with traditional phone lines in7 years

Richard Hardy richardy at engineer.com
Mon Jan 12 17:38:17 EST 2009

I guess you can suppose what will be working in any given area during a
disaster. During the December 2007 ice storm (the worst we had in 40
years) the only thing that worked at my house for more than two days was
the land line telephone. No power (except for what my generator was
providing), no cable, no cell, no wireless of any kind and I live in the
city. The damage was something that had to be seen to be believed. The
wireless problems were in pockets and my house was in the middle of one
of those pockets. Many areas were without services for more than two
weeks although the cell companies were getting it together within two
days. I believe in backup so I will keep my old reliable land line as a
backup to the backup until they take it from me. While I was not home
much during that time my family was and it was a great comfort for them
and me to be able to communicate while I was out on storm recovery.
Richard Hardy