[SBE] Hybrid issues.

Curt Yengst cyengst at star991fm.com
Thu Jan 29 10:46:41 EST 2009

Dear partners in crime:

I'm in the process of troubleshooting a complaint from some of our jocks. When they take calls on our Telos 2x12, sometimes the call will have a bit of feedback/echo under the caller. If the jock pots down the 2x12 output at the console, it can be somewhat controlled, but then the complaint is that the caller audio is too low in level (duh!). It doesn't happen on every call, but it's enough to irritate them. We have the Telos 2x12 connected to a Wheatstone D-75 audio console, using their SP-75 "Superphone" input module, which has its own mix-minus. It also has the ability to generate separate outputs for hybrid out, "mics only" out (everything but the caller), and "callers only" out. We're using the hybrid outs to feed the 2x12 inputs. The Caller 1 output of the 2x12 (which gets used almost exclusively) is split with a Y-cable, with one side going to the caller input on the Superphone module and the other side going directly to the caller side of our VoxPro workstation. One jock claims it only happens on live calls, not on pre-recorded calls.

I e-mailed Telos, and the answer was basically that it was a phone company issue (poor echo cancellation), and since it was coming into the station sounding that way to begin with, there was nothing we could do about it. Wheatstone basically said the only way their equipment would possibly exhibit this issue was if caller conferencing wasn't properly set up. Since the problem happens with single callers, this is moot.

Any thoughts?

Curt Yengst, CSRE
WAWZ