[SBE] SBE Digest, Vol 132, Issue 6

Gary gbrefini at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 16:34:16 EST 2009

I forgot to add; with digital hybrids there is the burst of white noise that essentially allows the hybrid to adjust it's effective real and imaginary impedance to be the complex conjugate of the phone line it sees. It is similar to equalizing the line so to speak. Once that 2 wire-line is 'sounded" by that short burst (often heard by the callers just as the DJ picks up the line) the line's?parameters are suppose to be the same for the duration of the call. If that line impedance changes during the call the ringing will occur and the caller's audio (as well as the DJ's audio) will sound worse. I can't explain how this might happen but it could. If there is a SLIC (Subscriber?Line Interface Card) down the line that is soft it is possible that the 600 ohm?balanced twisted pair is not so balanced over the duration of the call...SLICs convert from digital to analog somewhere about 5000 to 6000 feet from where the phone line enters the premises....I have had bad SLICs bite me but
more in the days when dialup was prevalent than DSL or Fiber. Int hat case the modem could not sync to the server and vice versa. I think int he US this problem has gone away but Verizon in MA had some bad slics in the 1990's from a?particular ?vendor.

?Support your local Habitat for Humanity affiliate!

South Shore Habitat for Humanity
www.sshabitat.org

Pls Visit My Habitat for Humanity Video Channel: SSHABITATVIDEOS
NOW ON TWO SERVERS!
www.youtube.com/sshabitatvideos
www.vimeo.com/sshabitatvideos/