[SBE] 4 more months?

Larry Bloomfield Larry at Tech-Notes.TV
Fri Jan 30 17:13:02 EST 2009

Henry

I like your very last paragraph the best. However, the incalculable
amount of inventory that has been given up by stations to educate the
public about the demise of analog (I refuse to call it the transition to
digital as digital has been on the air for some time now) would very
well added up into the millions had it been sold as commercial time. I
don't believe there are very many who are not aware of the Feb. 17 date.

In my little town of Florence, OR, (8,000 population) I get asked
frequently about "the transition." We're served by nothing but
translators, which isn't part of this whole boondoggle, which creates
other issues. That's another government screw up - EVERYONE in ALL
services should have the same date to end analog. The way this is coming
about has really confused many especially in communities where there are
both low power and high power network affiliates sharing the same
audience. The issue of pass through and not pass through boxes is also
another government screw up.

If my memory serves me correctly, the whole idea of companion channels
and the abandonment of the analog on a given date was to have the
abandoned spectrum auctioned off in an effort to bring about a balanced
budget. As we all know, it will take one hell of a lot more than the
auction of vacated television channels to make that happen, but it might
put a dent into it.

We need not get into the government screw up when it comes to the
funding of converter boxes either. Had the origional program been
carried out as it had been intended (who knows what that was these
days?), there wouldn't be an issue of lack of funds. As Tony said in
another post, the past administration had only committed $990 to the
coupon program out of $1.5 BILLION. Monies would have been replenished
automatically, according to the original bill, if the administration had
asked for the monies they were entitled to, but now there is a new
administration and God only know what kinds of hitches in the "getty-up"
they'll be putting into this equation.

There are supposed to be funds for those communities of 20,000 or less
to help replace their translators. West Lane Translator, who serves my
community, is waiting for those funds to become available so we can make
a move. Remember that NTIA, like the FCC has to go out with their
equivalent of a NPRM and the time for responses etc before those funds
can be made available. Some of us may not see digital for sometime to
come. Go figure.

*Larry Bloomfield, KA6UTC*
1980 25th St.
Florence, OR 97439