[SBE] 4 more months?

Tony Mancari TMancari at wvpt.net
Fri Jan 30 21:08:02 EST 2009

Happy Friday- may your team win the big one this Sunday-

As a tried and true believer in the DTV technology I must chime in...I, like you, have been actively involved in building many technical plants, finding out what did or don't work, and then getting all the vendors to play nice together to make DTV over a multiple transmitter system work for our geographically challenged areas.
Our particular station like many of yours servers 5 different DMAs with a transmitter in the top 10 market of the country by physical location and others in the most rural areas that we have more cows watching than I do people. I have been involved with many discussions at DTV with the house, senate, and governments -both local and national and have proactively worked to convert my station.

Each time I made my case for support for DTV I gave my credentials as an engineer working for station XXXX and a card carrying member with The SBE. The government officials listened and responded and they assisted me in doing the conversion of my station. I, like many of you, have spent the last 10 years writing grants, going to bat for this, speaking to kids at school, talking to churches, libraries, going to retirement homes and helping people see the difference, assisting cable and IPTV folks in the area to understand multicasting, down conversion, AFD, and yes even that DTV is very directional.

I have also been answering phone calls at other stations, emails from other engineers, helping viewers not only get my station but others in the market ready and on the air and insisted this was all an effort of the regional SBE Chapter as part of our free DTV schools for the engineer and the viewing public. Yes, I too have answered calls on my cell late at night and on the weekend (when I wasn't on call) from people who thanked me for my answers and expertise and were grateful to watch the show that night.

And, I have also run into people who have introduced themselves to me after seeing me on TV or talking to me on the phone or just noting I was driving a station vehicle. They have bought me lunch, a cup of coffee, or even offered to pay me for helping ( doing what we are to do as members of the SBE) So, as an engineer who believes in doing what I have been unfunded to do...but yet mandated to do... I am proud to have coordinated and assisted with sponsoring partnership and training events for retailers, viewers, and many of the engineers in our tri state area by hosting Gary Scrigonoli DTV training in our area. I can truly say...now, it has been done ...and we are ready to throw the switch on Feb 17 ...or June 12th ...or whenever.

In closing -I, like many if not all of you- have spent the last ten years not only converting my station but my comrade engineers and the viewers as well. I say this because I know I am just saying what many of you have also done in your station and community...and I am very thankful for each and everyone of you. Come what may- SBE has stepped up to the plate ...and we are all better engineers and have a stronger SBE as part of the DTV conversion.

Respectively submitted,
Tony
p.s. Have a great weekend!