[SBE] T-Mobile

Thomas Shanks tshanks at gatech.edu
Wed Mar 4 00:14:00 EST 2009

T-Mobile has never done that to me when I ran out of minutes while
overseas. However, they did fail to receive a phone I sent back in on
a warranty swap once, then tried to stick me with $400 in charges for
a $100 phone. I found the contact info for the head of the customer
service department after nearly two months of arguing, and she finally
worked it out.

T-Mobile offers a Blackberry International plan which provides
unlimited data usage worldwide for an additional $20/mo. They will
even turn it on the day you leave and off the day you return. The
locals will envy you in far-away places, as they are paying by the
megabyte.

The G1 is fragile. Blackberry users will be sorely disappointed when
the screen gets loose and stops recognizing touches after a few weeks
of Blackberry-type use. Unfortunately, the new Android phone is also
a touch screen, so we will have to wait longer before replacing our
Blackberries with something that offers contact and calendar sync to
people without an Exchange Server.

Don't use Blackberry Google Sync, though. It ate all my contacts just
last week. My backup didn't include the 100 new ones I had just
entered the prior week, either. All in all, Blackberry has become an
antiquated platform in the days of desktop web browsers and fast,
threading email clients in your pocket.

Thomas Shanks
Chief Engineer
WREK Atlanta, Georgia Tech Student Radio