[SBE] Clarified question for the IT folks about IE add-ons - how many of the Java Plug-In updates does a computer need?

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Sun Mar 15 11:58:09 EDT 2009

Hello everyone !

Thanks for all the responses to my questions in the previous email below.

Yep, the reflector passes neither embedded pictures nor attached files.

So, please allow me to try to be a little more clear and descriptive since
the visual's not here, and since I could not "cut and paste" from the
"Manage Add-ons" box. I understand from the responses I've gotten that Java
updates are not cumulative, so removing early ones is not a good idea, even
though there are more than a dozen of them.

The problem stated more clearly: IE7 locks up occasionally and also
occasionally suddenly launches many, may copies of itself within a few
seconds. When either of these things happen, CPU usages goes to 100% and
response time to a keystroke or mouse movement changes from essentially
instantaneous to taking 10 to 15 seconds. Task Master reports that IE is
"not responding." A restart "fixes" the problem for several days unless I've
been "coming and going" and have had the computer "Hibernate" more than two
or three times in one day, when the problem re-appears. It seems to me if
between cold boots I do not "Hibernate" at all, I tend not to have the
problem.

Also, if in Outlook I hit ctrl-S to save a draft, then fail to wait at least
several seconds before hitting F7 to run spell-check, Outlook will lock up
immediately, again requiring a re-boot, and again with Task Manager
responding that Outlook is "not responding."

I'm running the latest Norton with the latest updates, XP with all the
available updates, not just the ones the Express install picks to install,
Windows firewall on, Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and the SammSoft computer maintenance
tool (the usual disc cleanup, registry cleanup, etc).

The system is behind a router that has had its administrator user name and
password changed to lengthy, meaningless strings, so I doubt it's been
compromised.

When just sitting here not using the computer, no matter if the computer is
on or off, I do not see unexpected activity on the router link lights, so it
does not appear I've been "zombied." It does, however, seem that
something's wrong.

Another symptom: if I install the Google Toolbar, IE locks up every time
it's instantiated. I've tried several install-and-removal cycles to no
avail. Some months ago it worked fine. I removed it after updating Windows
and NAV one day when it started locking up the computer.

And that's what I'd like to ask your opinion about how to fix -- if the
system can go back to its initial stability, that would be great. If not,
I'll just keep treating it like DOS 2.0, CP/M and early TRSDOS with their
occasional printer lockups, and periodically save, save, save!

Thanks again in advance for any thoughts you're willing to share!

Mike Langner
Albuquerque