[SBE] Question for the IT folks about IE add-ons - how many of the Java Plug-In updates does a computer need?

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Sun Mar 15 11:10:19 EDT 2009

On Saturday 14 March 2009 09:03 pm, Mike Langner wrote:

> Hello everyone !

> I don't know if this reflector will carry a photo or carry an attachment, so

> I've done both.

Neither, if it's configured correctly.

> I'm running IE-7. It's become less and less stable over the past year or

> so.

By that, I assume you mean crashing at random ?

> According to "Manage Add-ons" there are a number of Java Plug-In updates

> associated as add-ons.

> Question: do I need all of them, or can I remove all except the latest of

> them?

I don't know if M$ Windows allows this ( I don't use it unless I absolutely
have zero choice ) but the best thing you could do to find out, would be
to remove all of them, BUT keep the java update package on the disk
somewhere, so you can reinstall.
M$ updates tend to be cumulative, and that's also true of Sun Java, so
"probably" you can get by with only the latest, but M$ java.... ??
If you can, remove them all, then reinstall only the latest, and see what
happens. If sites fail, reinstall the next newest, and so on, stopping
when you have what you need.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

Men have a much better time of it than women; for one thing they marry later;
for another thing they die earlier.
-- H.L. Mencken