[SBE] UTC Time Standard

k7cr k7cr at blarg.net
Fri Mar 20 19:45:44 EDT 2009

Hi Rod -

I believe that we are all on the SBE List -

As for using UTC for EAS Events - I feel that getting away from our Standard and Daylight time zones, with occasional variations is a good one. this way all devices would be programmed with the same time zone, UTC. The problem with this is that much of this equipment has interaction with people who are going to have difficulty, in some cases, lots of it! Look at the confusion that takes place with a one-hour shift when we go back and forth from Daylight-time...A similar thing takes place when you use 24 hour time. You tell the average person that something will take place at 1800 hours and you are very likely to get a deer in the headlights reaction. The same argument could be made for using the Metric system. etc.

The problem is, you idea is a great one - if you could overcome the adverse reaction that will likely come.

For that matter - Why not go all the way and change our time keeping to base-10?. Look what happens today - We have Hours, Minutes, Seconds ...and what happens beyond that - We shift from base 12 to base 10 with 10th's of a second. Lets not just consider using UTC, but changing UTC to base-10. For example -

Midnight would be 0.000 hours
0600 would be 2.5
1200 would be 5.0
1800 would be 7.5
2400 would be 10, or 0.000 depending on how you wanted to look at it.

Each day would have 10 hours
Each hour would have 10 minutes
etc.

Wait a minute ...It's not quite April yet.

Clay Freinwald