[SBE] Unattended TV station

John Peterson jpeterson at prairiepublic.org
Tue Mar 31 17:43:49 EDT 2009

Yes you can run a OTA TV unattended. We have a statewide network and we run
unattended for 4-5 hours overnight(this may increase). Transmitter problems
will automatically page the transmitter engineer who can control the
transmitters from home, or make the short drive into the station. Video and
audio are monitored separately, lack of either will cause a call to the
operations engineer. Transmitter logging is automatic.

Currently we have eight digital TV transmitters and 9 FM transmitters. For
awhile we also had 7 analog TV transmitters, nice to get rid of the old
analog as the new digitals and the FM's don't cause us many problems.

Been running unattended overnights for 10 years or more.

John Peterson, CSTE
Fargo, ND