[SBE] Fwd: NAB FM chip proposal

Thomas Shanks tshanks at gatech.edu
Wed Apr 1 06:10:44 EDT 2009

I think my last message sounded too much like I thought this is a wonderful idea that just needs more study. I don't think it is, as the existing solution seems to be more effective and better thought out. Please think things through and design a system that provides a clear benefit to all of the parties involved before proposing it. Otherwise, it just looks like the industry is trying to achieve business success through governmental force.

If the goal really is to get radios in phones, a MUCH better idea would be to find a way to directly motivate the mobile tel companies to sell the phones with radios in them. The phones exist but they aren't making it to American shores because of the way that mobile phones are sold here.

Perhaps paying the mobile providers per click on value-added advertising content delivered to the phone would work to get the mobile companies to play along and sell phones that include FM receivers.

We don't have a good protocol to get this digital advertising content (links, etc) to the phone, though, as HD Radio can't receive well in portable devices yet, RDS can't stand the multipath, and not much else is ubiquitous on the transmission side.

1seg delivers advertising links to mobiles perfectly. This is ATSC-land, though. I'm crossing my fingers for ATSC Mobile. I don't see the receiver standards including decoding of 1seg-like HTML content on all HTML-enabled devices, though, like they should. Why not?

Thomas Shanks CBRE
Georgia Tech