[SBE] Best map program?

Chris Spacone cspacone at socal.rr.com
Sat Apr 11 15:53:36 EDT 2009

Delorme TopoUSA, whatever version is the latest. I use it extensively when
planning ad-hoc VHF and UHF comm Links for various events. It won't do
anything like Longley-Rice but it can do something called 'profiles'.
Basically you pick 2 points on the map and draw a line linking them. Then,
you select 'profile' by right clicking on the line (I'm doing this from
memory so my apologies if this doesn't work exactly like I describe). You
see a window at the bottom of the map that shows the elevations between the
two points as well as any obstructions. I used this technique to plan a
crossband repeater link for a desert race we held in southern California
earlier this year and it helped me find a 'saddle' that turned out to be an
ideal location for the gear. The site was over 60 miles LOS to net control
which I covered on 440 with about 5 watts into a short beam. The 2M side was
able to hit all locations along the back of the mountain trail which was
well over 30 miles end to end.

If it helps you can email me off list and I can give you a hand. The
technique I use isn't very efficient but it is effective. TopoUSA is a dog
performance wise and the UI / commands can be somewhat cryptic / daunting
for the new user. The price for the program is generally less than $100 and
sometimes DeLorme runs specials that can net you a GPS receiver with the
package. Not always useful but better than a sharp stick to the eye!

73,
Chris Spacone, KD6OUB
cspacone at socal.rr.com