[SBE] Translator Sources

Benedict, Raymond C rcbenedict at cbs.com
Wed Apr 15 13:27:46 EDT 2009

Translators can only:

§ 74.1201 Definitions.

(a) FM translator. A station in the broadcasting service operated for
the purpose of retransmitting the signals of an FM radio broadcast
station or another FM broadcast translator station without
significantly altering any characteristics of the incoming signal other
than its frequency and amplitude, in order to provide FM broadcast
service to the general public.

So it appears that translators must transmit the analog signal too if they
are to carry IBOC.