[SBE] H1N1 Response

Adrienne Abbott weathertop at charter.net
Thu Apr 30 22:52:36 EDT 2009

Barry--

Several years ago I served on a local District Health Dep't Pandemic
Planning Committee. We were responsible for putting together a county-wide
plan for dealing with a pandemic, expected at that time to be "bird flu",
but the plan could be applied to any widespread, disabling illness. We
discussed the impact on businesses and government agencies and determined
that the biggest impact of a pandemic would be the loss of staff, either
temporarily or permanently. Whether employees are out sick, caring for
someone who is sick or avoiding the possibility of being sick because they
have a compromised immune system, the impact could be significant on our
member stations because most broadcasters are already operating with fewer
staff than they had a year ago. The temporary loss of 3 or 4 workers could
cripple even a big station and threaten to completely shut down a small
station. As a result, cross-training is critical. For example.can someone
who normally does production and graphics operate a studio or field camera?
Can a sales assistant-if there are any left-also do traffic or accounting?
Can the receptionist double as a news producer? Can someone from sales
double as a receptionist and do traffic? Can the engineer also operate a
live truck? How many field reporters can also "punch" a show? Are there
recently laid off staff members who would be willing to come back on a
temporary basis? How many jobs can be done from home, over the Internet?
Keep in mind that all this is happening at a time when our TV stations are
also required to operate and maintain DTV Walk-in Centers and comply with
other DTV education requirements. Radio station managers should ask
themselves similar questions, including the possibility that some "live,
local shows" might have to be done via remote from someone's home with the
ubiquitous Marti or other RPU. Automation, whether it's radio or TV, can
only do so much and then there has to be a real person in the building. Just
some thoughts on the topic.

Adrienne

_____