[SBE] Flu Response

Bill Whitt billw at betterlifetv.tv
Fri May 1 13:04:58 EDT 2009

Does your company have a plan? Has that plan been initiated?
What's engineering's responsibility in that plan?
Is there a way the Society can help you?

Whether it's the swine flu, dirty bomb, or even an earthquake - what I read
from the above questions is a general concern from the SBE for broadcasters.
The thought of going under fast because of a sudden loss of manpower is a
very real concern right now. I know I'm running tired and thin. The money is
gone - not only because of the economy . the added operating budget for
running in some of our locations has gone up. Our station for the past 5
months has been running with only me fixing, responding, and pulling chiefly
duties. When I heard about this swine flu my family . and my boss had a
huge, and sudden concern with my health in general. The stress and long
hours = potential flu victim.

I personally feel the same way as Henry in a lot of ways. I also understand
the point of being prepared for a potential loss of manpower.

I used to call it a "disaster plan". No one likes to do one, because you
have to think of yourself as dead or gone, and I usually don't think of
myself in the third person trying to figure out what Bobby Joe Smith can do
in my place.

To answer all of Barry's questions above - no I don't have any plans in
place. This flu has woke up a lot of management around here . on just how
complacent the day to day grind can be when things are operating smoothly.
We in engineering keep the station shielded from a lot of things . if it
came to a grinding halt for even a week . it would be horrible. I also think
that cross-training other people, may be harder than it sounds on paper .
breaking down those .. "this isn't my job" answers would be quite an
endeavor.

I'm basically regurgitating what Adrienne has said. I would be interested in
helping the SBE put together a set of general guidelines to assist stations
in putting together a disaster plan. Maybe even success stories and lengths
of time to actually implement a good plan would be great from people who
have one in place already. This is going to be a lot of work . I think you
opened a huge can of worms on this one.

Bill