[SBE] Flu Response

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Fri May 1 14:41:00 EDT 2009

How many of us have already gotten through a cold, flue, broken bones, and
other personal issues yet manage to keep our stations on the air, as
necessary dragging our selves in to fix a transmitter or talked it through to a
person on the phone? Likely most of us. As professional broadcast engineers we
should by our own responsability be prepared to cover outages from any
cause. People have limited attention ability, and while the shrill government
and mass media scream the flue is coming, attention is being drawn away from
other issues of greater risk potential.

Part of that preparation should have been cumulations of what to do
manuals, how to do it guides, what happens if memos, emergency phone numbers, even
for other engineers to call if you can't be there, easy access to operators
manuals on equipment and a well trained staff.

I don't care if it is the flu, ingrown toe nail fungal disease, displaced
foot in mouth disease, 4" of snow in NYC or D.C. closing it down, (or 4
flakes in GA) if you are already prepared as you should be good, if you aren't
shame on you for waiting for some blithering news head on TV or radio or blog
to bring it to your attention.

There's no "heads in the sand" to prioritize actual risks vs the world is
ending hype. Risk evaluation and avoidence is part of our jobs. I have four
vendors next week to train the entire staff on all the new HD stuff and
we've already done a lot of in house and it will be followed by two months of
hands on practice. If we do a good job of that all we'll have to worry about
is dust and cola.

Henry