[SBE] H1N1.

McGlothen, Darryl darryl.mcg at klewtv.com
Fri May 1 14:24:59 EDT 2009

It seems to me that there must be some middle ground in this discussion;
with "living in filth" on the one end of the spectrum and
"obsessive/compulsive cleanliness" on the other. The unpleasant fact is
that, eventually, we're all going to die: sometime, somewhere, some way.
Barry's original questions were aimed at how we, as individuals and as
organizations, are coping with the threat of potential disaster.

We can ignore the threat (as some seem to advocate), run around like
Chicken Little with ineffectual knee-jerk reactions, or we can calmly
analyze how best to avert disaster and/or react to it should it strike.
My employer has been stressing the need to take normal precautions such
as regular hand washing, covering your cough or sneeze, staying home if
you're sick. In addition, we have disinfectant gels and sprays available
for those who choose to use them. Our HR department is making additional
information available on our web site in order that we may be
continuously apprised of new developments on the health front. Staying
well-informed seems to me to be the moderate course.

I have yet to see any suggestions on what to do in the event that
critical personnel are no longer able to perform their duties due to
illness. I guess that's one of those 'cross that bridge when we come to
it' scenarios. This falls under the category of Disaster Recovery,
rather than Disaster Preparedness.

Darryl