[SBE] Liquid Nitrogen...

Edwin Bukont ebukont at msn.com
Thu May 7 07:24:24 EDT 2009

Isn't that the issue that revealed itself with the Haldron Collider? As I understood the problem last year, at lowest temps, connections that appear to be fine under normal testing reveal the smallest flaws leading to reflected power, which is a drop in current to the magnet, that causes an imbalance between sections, which in turn will cause a very rapid rise in temp over a small area which melts connections and causes heat related failure of other parts. Because of the proximity to absolute zero, any difference in temp is a problem. The increasing heat spreads quickly beyond the bad connection and causes failure of a substantial portion of the magnet section. I believe they refer to this overall catastrophic event as a 'quench'

Edwin Bukont CSRE, DRB, CBNT
Comm-Struction and Services LLC
Baltimore/Washington DC
V- 410.879.5567 F- 240.368.1265 C- 240.417.2475

A Harris Broadcast Channel Partner