[SBE] Nitrogen

Bill Whitt billw at betterlifetv.tv
Thu May 7 12:52:56 EDT 2009

I agree that the Liquid form of nitrogen gas is expensive to install. If you
are at a remote site that is under extreme conditions . a liquid nitrogen
tank outside may be cause for disaster.

I used to work for Intel and they had outsourced their liquid nitrogen needs
to a company called PRAXAIR. They are a specialized "ultra" pure nitrogen
vendor. Way too much for what we do for a living.

Something to note . a liquid Nitrogen system can be high pressure to start
with. They normally run around the 125PSI or higher range, but can be geared
down with more equipment added to the bottom line.

The Vaporizer is the other element that can be an issue. Most really good
liquid nitrogen vendors . that also build storage tanks . spend a lot of
time and research in making sure that the vaporizer can handle what they
call "frost clog". They are built with high pressure stainless steel and are
able to withstand the demanding thermal cycling and ice loads generated with
ambient vapor in long-term use. There will always be ice . it seems that you
can't get away from that.

You can do something cooler - fill your own tanks . using a liquid tank.

http://www.chart-ind.com/litfiles/11210548.pdf

This may make life easier for those that are switching tanks on a regular
bases. I haven't run any numbers to find out what the savings would be, but
my gut tells me you could fill quite a few gas bottles from this adventure.
You can then be assured that the quality is secure, as another gentleman
pointed out. If the vendor makes a mistake and fills a pure nitrogen tank
with a oil filled one - could spell disaster if you hook that turkey up for
sure.

Just generating random thoughts again ..

Bill Whitt