[SBE] Nitrogen

Fluker, Steve (CXR-Orlando) Steve.Fluker at CoxRadio.com
Thu May 7 13:04:44 EDT 2009

I know there's controversy about the topic of dry air vs. nitrogen, but
from my experience, nitrogen is far better than dry air. Dry air still
contains oxygen which will oxidize the copper. I had two rigid lines on
adjacent towers in Orlando. Once installed in 1979 which was evacuated
and pressurized with dry nitrogen it's entire life. The second line was
installed in 1985 and due to some leaks in the antenna system, it had
been pressurized with a dehydrator. In 1994 I made a change in the
1979 antenna and when I pulled the line apart, it looked the same as it
did the day it arrived off of the truck. Never had any problems with
it. We were just moving the antenna to a different location on the
tower.

Two years later (1996) we were having line burn-outs on the 1985 line.
Upon pulling the line apart the center conductors had oxidized and had
seized the watchband springs on the bullets causing some of the bullets
to fail. We ended up replacing the inners and bullets. It was
determined that the dry air from the dehydrator was the culprit. I have
heard the issues with the Teflon bullets and nitrogen, but in my 30
years in radio I have yet to see this failure occur. I have seen this
oxidation results on several lines now.

Just my two cents.

Steve