[SBE] Gates FM Solidstatesman TE-3 Exciter

ag4xm at fuse.net ag4xm at fuse.net
Tue Jun 9 11:39:57 EDT 2009

Curt,
The TE-3 was pretty good at holding frequency over time compared to its predecesor the TE-1 as long as you got the osc freq close enough for the AFC to lock but was still very sensitive to microphonics.and LF overshoot. I can see where soldering in the MO transistor (isn't it at like 74Mhz?) would help if the socket connection was microphonic. Can't think of anything there would cause a partial loss of drive like that though.
It should make 10 watts on a good day. Sounds like one of the output transistors on the amplifier module is toast. I believe it was a complimentary pair but memory fades.
I agree with George's suggestion to replace all of the caps.
I'll see if I can dig up a copy of the manual if you need it
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T