[SBE] A/C 3phase vs single phase

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Thu Jun 11 11:31:47 EDT 2009

Three phase versus single phase air conditioning continued --

One further quick observation -- depending on the source impedance of your
power and the starting current draw of a/the single phase motors, many of
which are capacitor-start "across-the-line" starting, you can get some
pretty interesting voltage peaks and valleys on startup with single-phase
motors. I've seen more than one transmitter site with surge damage traced
to recurrent motor spikes. With a high enough lighting load in a studio you
may not have quite the problem, but with single-phase "across the line"
starting, motors of any serious size will have amazing starting currents.

Usually single phase fan motors are split-phase, which means they don't have
much starting torque, but the also don't draw the horrendous starting
current of a single phase, capacitor start motor.

Just a quick point in history -- yes, there really were 2 phase systems --
although they were generally quite limited to specialized applications. The
RCA 5-F AM transmitter used 892R tubes as finals and as modulators. The
transmitters internally derived their 2 phase from 3 phase power for the
892R filaments.

Conversion between 2 phase and 3 phase power can be done with a "Scott
Connection" of transformers/windings, as can be seen in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott-T_transformer.

Interestingly, early in the development of power distribution, both 2 phase
and 3 phase systems were in operation. 3 phase is the most efficient,
especially when the cost of copper wire is factored in, and it eventually
won the "phase race" as we all know!

Good luck !

Mike/

Mike Langner, CPBE